Infant Massage offers many benefits to both your baby and you! Infant Massage is an age-old tradition that, in many cultures, has been passed down from mother to daughter since the beginning of time. It’s one of the most natural and pleasant methods of providing early nurturing, and it’s an amazing tool for helping parents become closer to their babies.
“Being touched and caressed, being massaged, is food for the infant. Food as necessary as minerals, vitamins, and proteins.” ~Dr. Frederick Laboyer
The next series is beginning soon!
Infant massage classes are taught over 4 to 5 weeks to give parents and babies time to learn and become comfortable with the massage. Classes typically start near the beginning of the month depending on interest and enrollment.
Cost: $85 To enroll in our upcoming series, simply purchase your class pass and we’ll contact you immediately with more details.
Benefits of Infant Massage for Baby
- Infant-Parent attachment and bonding
- Helps baby feel loved
- Promotes better sleep
- Facilitates body awareness
- Sensory stimulation; Boosts immune system
- Improves blood circulation, and skin condition
- Helps digestion
- Balances respiration
- Relief for teething pains
- Help waste elimination
- Helps build parents’ and baby’s self-esteem
- Helps you learn about your baby (their needs and desires)
- Pleasurable experience; Relaxation
- Stimulates production of oxytocin (Oxytocin is a calming and pain-relieving hormone produced during massage.)
Benefits of Infant Massage for Parents
- Caregivers report feeling more comfortable and confident in their ability to care for baby.
- Parents learn to understand and respond to baby’s cues
- Parents learn techniques to comfort, calm and soothe their babies
- Provides an additional avenue for close and nurturing contact
Infant Massage provides:
- Stimulates all the systems of the body including the Nervous system; Circulatory system; Respiratory System; Elimination System; and, Immune System
- Stimulates the release of oxytocin (known as the cuddle hormone) in both parent and child, prolactin (promoting milk production in the mother), and other endorphins
- Reduces muscle stiffness and normalizes muscle tone
- Touch combined with vocalization helps reduce pain levels up to 80%
- Helps tone digestive tract
- Helps alleviate gas and promote elimination
- Releases hormones for food absorption
- Releases endorphins, natural pain killers, to ease emotional distress
Bonding and Attachment
- Infant massage draws on all the elements of bonding and attachment
- Eye-to-eye contact, skin-to-skin, body scent, vocalization, taste, responsiveness
- Hormones stimulated by infant massage promote bonding and attachment between parent and baby
- Helps relieve tension built up from all the stimulation in the baby’s environment
- Helps babies handle sensory stimulation and respond in a relaxed manner
- Helps babies sleep better and regulates sleep/wake cycle
“Bonding is a unique relationship between two people. It is specific and endures through time.” ~M. Klaus
Why Attend A Class?
Come enjoy the benefits of infant massage with your baby! Our classes are normally taught over 4 to 5 weeks to give both the parent and baby time to learn and become comfortable with the massage. Each week parents learn strokes for a new part of the body while reviewing strokes from previous classes. We teach a little at a time to ensure that you are confident with every aspect.
The strokes and styles of baby massage are easier to grasp when demonstrated by an experienced instructor. Pressure, rate, rhythm, the length of the massage, respect, bonding, why baby cries, baby’s body language, positioning of the baby, relaxation and parent empowerment are some of the skills and topics that will be discussed. Come join a class!
What’s A Class Like?
Our classes are held in small groups to ensure personalized attention. Infant Massage classes are baby led; in our classes, it’s okay for babies to cry! We offer supportive group sessions where parents can share experiences and learn from each other while having fun. Recommended age for group classes is from birth to pre-crawling.